Thursday, March 7, 2013

Random Thursday: Favourite Childhood Memory...


Sorry I'm late to the party - we had one of our three big work events last weekend and I'm still trying to catch up - so I'm behind on everything. Also sorry for the uneditedness and lack of pics - but it's going up like this or not at all, so too bad!

This week's Random Thursday with Lin, Meg and myself is:


Phew. This is a tough one. I mean, how do you distill an entire childhood down to one favourite moment? I'm certainly having trouble. But I'll do my best.

1. 
The first thing you need to know, contextually speaking, is that I grew up on a small hippy island off the west coast of Canada. Lots of patchouli and pot smoking. Also very little pop culture. My parents decided I'd be a better-adjusted and more well-rounded child without television. I blame them and this silly rule for my inability to moderate my TV intake now, but that's another story. Anyway, one of my favourite things as a kid was going over to a friend's house and watching TV. Also loved sleepovers. And going to the movies.

2. 
As a child I did outdoorsy stuff - you know, cos I didn't have a TV and was an only child so I didn't even have another kid to beat up to pass the time. One of the outdoorsy things I did was horseback riding. I rode at the local trail riding stables in exchange for helping muck out stalls, groom horses and bringing up the rear to keep an eye on nervous tourists. I loved horses (still do - as evidenced by my waterworks when watching the Budweiser Clydesdale commercial), so a lot of my best memories involved riding. One time I got to ride my favourite horse, Tess, down the mountain into town for the Fall Fair. It was both terrifying and exhilarating, I can tell ya!

3. 
Some of my other faves weren't at the time. My parents bought a fixer upper, so my childhood was full of horrifying moments like holding dry wall up  in a crawl space with my feet or mowing an acre of lawn, a lot of which was on a hill... but the up side is that I have some basic knowledge of how to use tools and repair things, and that comes in handy. (It's been years, so I feel the need to point out that by basic I mean I don't hit my thumb when using a hammer, I know how to fix a running toilet, I think I could probably still chop wood without losing a limb if I had to and I can light a fire. It's not like I can build you a house from scratch or anything.)

That's about all that comes to mind at the moment, let's see how you guys do! Link up below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...