Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wicked Wednesday - Refinery 29


Clearly I'm not a fashionista. I don't like shopping, I definitely don't replace my outfits every season (or even every year), and I will never learn to walk in high heels properly. But every once in awhile, I like to check in on what's going on in the world of fashion/style/trends etc. and vicariously enjoy what other people come up with. You know, the ones who actually care enough to shop more than once every six months.

I came across Refinery 29 by accident when I found a link to a slideshow of stylish 70-year-olds. This impressed me right away. One of the things that turns me off about the fashion world is its preoccupation with youth and idealized beauty. Rarely will you see women much over 30, and when you do it's someone like Oprah or Michelle Obama or Anna Wintour - clearly amazing women whose accomplishments are the focus rather than any appreciation for their beauty (which is considerable, in my opinion).

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not saying it's a bad thing to value women for their skills, hard work and lifelong experience. It's very important, and provides great role models for young girls. I'm just saying that it's important to acknowledge them as beautiful, vibrant and sexy, too. So this article really got my attention. It made me smile and think, "finally, I'm looking at women who are what I want to be like when I grow up." The site won me over immediately for this one slideshow, and I've really enjoyed reading some of the other stuff they have to offer.

Here are a few links to demonstrate the range of the topics covered (I love that they cover women of all ages, plus-size fashion that actually looks good, DIY, socially conscious shopping, do-able makeup tips - even something for Harry Potter fans!):
And the post that started it all for me:
If you like style and fashion-centric sites that cover it all, this is a great one to waste some serious time on!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...